Thursday 27 November 2014

Chocolate Bar Birthday Wreathe - DIY

So it was my friend's birthday this week and just like any other normal person, she loves chocolate!  I have various pins on my Gifts board of tutorials for 'candy bouquets' or 'chocolate birthday cards' and I wanted to make something similar for her. I went to the supermarket and bought multipacks of different chocolate bars and then I remembered that I had a Styrofoam ring at home which I bought last Christmas but never used. So I decided to make a Chocolate Bar Birthday Wreathe!

You will need:


  • 12 chocolate bars - they can be different ones
  • A Styrofoam ring
  • Hot glue gun
  • Toothpicks
  • Glitter and glue or Paint
  • Ribbon/Random sweets (optional)



Now first you want to cover the Styrofoam ring, as it may show through. You can either paint it, wrap it in ribbon (make sure it's not too thick) or do what I did and coat it in glue and sprinkle it with glitter :D It's hard to go wrong with glitter! I used silver with a touch of red:


Once it is dry you need to decide how you  will arrange the chocolate bars. As I had 3 Crunchies, 3 twirls and 6 Kit Kats, I decided to go: Crunchie, Kit Kat, Twirl, Kit Kat, Crunchie and so on. And I used 12 chocolate bars to arrange it like a clock so it is symmetrical, of course if your ring is bigger or smaller you may need more or less. This is how I laid mine out:
Now it's time for sticking! Okay so at first I tried to just hot glue the chocolate bar on but it was not strong enough and this is what happened:

Not good! Especially if there will be the weight of 12 chocolate bars on it!So I had to think of a different way: Toothpicks! I cut the toothpicks in half and hot glued on one half - pointy side up, obviously - to the bottom of each chocolate bar, like so:

And then you simply start placing them on! I added another dollop of hot glue before pinning the chocolate bar on, just for good measure. Make sure you know exactly where you are placing each chocolate because once you have pinned it, it will be quite hard to move! Anyway this is what it looked liked once I had stuck all the chocolates:
I wasn't quite sure about the gaps in between, I felt that it needed to look a bit fuller. So this is where you can use a little imagination, you could stick some ribbon, feathers, anything decorative in between the gaps, or nothing at all if you feel it looks fine, it's entirely up to you! Personally I would have liked to have had some mini chocolate bars, or small sweets, but I didn't have any and it was too late to go and buy some. So I raided my little sisters draw and found 12 small sweets or lollipops to stick in between the gaps. 

I didn't use toothpicks here because the sweets were small and light. So my friends, here is the finished project:

I'll admit it's not the most neat and uniform looking wreathe but I don't think it matters too much, just the sight of all that delicious chocolaty sweetness I think will put a smile on anyone's face!
It was kind of hard to wrap, in the end I just sort of bunched some wrapping paper around it and popped and ribbon bow on top:
My friend loved it, it's a great gift for anyone you love who loves chocolate! Good luck and let me know in the comments if you try it out, until then, stay creative!




No comments:

Post a Comment