Tuesday 18 November 2014

D.I.Y. Edible Glitter - Pintest

Okay so my friends and I are planning a cocktail party, and by cocktail party I mean a small group of people messing around with mixers and grenadine and juices... trust me it's not as fancy as it sounds! Anyway while searching Pinterest for exciting cocktail recipes I noticed that some of the prettiest cocktails had edible glitter in them or around the rim. I then came a across a pin with a recipe for edible glitter by The Dessert Lover

However when I clicked through to the link there was no post or tutorial, there were only brief instructions in the description of the pin which were: 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of food coloring mixed, bake 10 mins in oven on 350* to make edible glitter 
Now I followed these instructions and mixed blue, with a tad of green food colouring (to make turquoise) with sugar, spread it on a plate and placed it in the oven for 10 minutes on 180°C:
















Now I must say that the image that I saw on the pin (top image) was deceiving as it is actual real sparkly glitter and not edible glitter made with sugar, so when I took the plate out of the oven I was dissapointed. The colour that I added had evaporated, so I would recommend adding maybe 1 1/2 - 2 teaspoons of food colouring. However, after stirring it several times, I noticed that the sugar had gained a beautiful shimmer, that shines in the light. It was quite dark but I managed to take a few photos:





















Although it does not resemble glitter I think it will look lovely around the rim of cocktail glasses or sprinkled on cupcakes as it adds a lovely shimmer! Also since the colour was bleached, it kind of reminded me of snow which makes it the perfect addition to Christmas cupcakes, cookies, cocktails or cakes!! Good luck if you try it and let me now how you decide to use it! Until then, stay creative!


Visit Anastasia's profile on Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment